Sunday, May 9, 2010

Blackberry Tart

Yesterday when we were in Trader Joe's, I noticed they had double containers (12oz) of blackberries for only $3.69 - a huge deal, especially looking as good they did! I snapped them up, along with a big carton of strawberries that was only $3.29. I thought I would make a quick fold over tart (where you lay a pie crust out on a baking sheet, place your fruit in the middle, and fold the edges up over it - See my Cranberry Pear Tart entry) with my goodies. However, when I got home and saw my muffin pan on the kitchen island, I decided to try making mini tarts instead, with just the blackberries. I guess I will have to bake something else with the strawberries; maybe my early summer tradition, Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.

I have made pies before, and mushroom tarts, but not mini fruit tarts. So, I decided to use my knowledge from the others and try to come up with my own recipe.

First, I cut circles out of a pie crust using a biscuit cutter. I only got 10 circles, so I had to roll out the remnants to get 2 more. After the circles were cut, I pressed each circle as evenly as I could into the bottom of the muffin pan.


I took butter, brown sugar, vanilla, brandy and walnuts and heated them in a sauce pan. Then, I whisked in flour. I then added the (washed) berries.

Next, I poured the berry mixture into each crust, arranging them so there were 6 berries in each - just enough so the pie crust were full, but not overflowing. Finally, I baked them.


The tarts came out tasting awesome, if I can say so myself! The berry mixture expanded a little into each tart and was just sweet and gooey enough. The crusts provided just enough to cup it all. My husband said the only thing that could've made them better was some custard on top. Pretty good for an experiment, and a wonderful treat when you don't want to put too much effort into making something! Also, a very good use for those summer berries which will soon be in abundance.


When I was making this, I didn't measure everything exactly, and I don't think you have to with such a recipe. However, I tried to estimate the measurements of each ingredient so I could provide a recipe here. Hope you find it as enjoyable and easy as I did!

Recipe
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp brandy
1/4 cup flour
12 oz blackberries, or 72 berries - 6 for each tart
1 pie crust


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Heat the butter, brown sugar, walnuts, vanilla and brandy in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally
When the above mixture is melted and well combined, whisk in the flour
Stir in the berries
Cut the pie crust into 12 circles and press each one evenly into the bottom of each cup in a muffin pan
Pour the berry mixture into each cup
Bake for 20 -25 minutes, until you can smell the berries baking, and they look a bit gooey

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I love blackberries! I have never made tarts before, but now I am motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your recipe...I shared it on my company Facebook page :-)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jack-Jills-Laboratory/117372888279326?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to be an Ardent Baker apprentice on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete