Saturday, September 18, 2010

Bourbon Spice Cake

I found the recipe for this cake last weekend, when searching for baked goods with bourbon in them. Nick and I do love our bourbon, and I recently made chocolate chip cookies with bourbon in them, so I thought I would try some other things. Also, I needed a recipe that used a lot of eggs, since we are not able to keep up with our CSA's supply of eggs to us.

The cake turned out very well, if you are expecting something that tastes like spice bread when you bite into it. That might be because I decided not to frost it (to work with and enhance the spice bread feeling), or it might be because it has a lot of spices in it, and is a denser consistency than a lot of cakes. Whatever the case, it looks lovely and tastes lovely.

You know that I am a big fan working with what I have in my kitchen if I can, and I didn't have any dates, so I used dried apricots. And, I was able to use up 4 eggs in just one recipe!

As seems to be the case in most recipes I find, you mix the wet ingredients, and the dry, separately and then combine them.

The batter was a little soupy, and there was a ton of it!


The cake rose so much that it was over the top edge of the pan. I had to cut off the bottom, rounded layer (I did about a 1/2 inch, but could've done more), so I could invert it onto a plate evenly. That's OK though, because it meant we got to eat cake right away!


And, voila! Doesn't that look nice? I think the only thing I would've done differently, was frost it. Like I said, I decided to work with the bread like taste and texture, and eat it as such, but a nice cream cheese frosting might've made a big difference. I just never got around to making one before it was eaten.

1 comment:

  1. You are right. It looks lovely. Good job and great pictures.

    ReplyDelete