Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Spritz Cookies

There are not many cookies I would choose over spritz cookies. So, since I was making Christmas cookies this year, I had to make a batch. I pulled out my Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook (the recipe can be found here) and my cookie press and went to work.

I decided to get colorful with my cookies and make yellow stars, green trees and red hearts. To do this, divide the dough into batches and work in the food coloring of your choice. Add coloring a few drops at a time and keep adding and working in until it reaches the color you want. Be warned, though, you will have very colorful hands when you are done!

Once you have the color worked in to each batch, place one into the cookie press with your cut-out of choice attached and press onto cookies sheet. I usually press for about 5 seconds before lifting and going to the next cookie. Once you reach the end of your dough, you will have leftovers that will not make it through the press. This is why you can see a couple of red circle cookies below. I also pressed some red hots into the red cookies and sprinkled some candy dots onto the trees to make them look a bit more festive.

This is such a simple recipe, but it can take a bit of time. It is all worth it though - look at how lovely those look, and they taste great too! These will be a go-to recipe for me, even if it's not Christmas time!

3 comments:

  1. Num! These are one of my fav holiday cookies :) reminds me of my grandma! I have a plastic press and it doesn't seem to works as good as my old metal one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute and decorative! — you could hang them on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, I had a metal press that used to be my step-grandmother's and I loved it (until it broke)! These plastic presses just aren't the same. Now the metal ones are antiques and are hard to find :(

    ReplyDelete