Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Baking Powder Biscuits

Once, while at my in-laws' house, I was instructed to make baking powder biscuits. I was to use a recipe that, I was told, came from a family friend some time ago and has been loved ever since. Never having made biscuits of any kind (except for the Pillsbury in the can kind of biscuits), I was a little leery. However, I soon discovered it was one of the easiest things I would ever bake from scratch!

The other night, while thinking about how hungry my stomach was and how un-filling the scheduled chicken salad sounded, I thought back to those biscuits. Unable to locate the sacred recipe, I searched online for one and found several that would suffice, as most basic recipes call for the same ingredients and steps:

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or shortening

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Sift the dry ingredients together into a bowl
Cut the butter into the dry ingredients
Make an indent in the mixture, pour the milk into it, and combine
Knead the dough about 10 times
Roll out the dough and cut into circles or grab small handfuls of dough
Place biscuits on a cookie sheet and bake until biscuits are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.

My only advice on this recipe is to be sure not to over-knead the dough; if you do you will have some mighty chewy biscuits.

How easy these biscuits are to make is surprising; how good they are is awesome, and how you can serve them is endless (we ate them with butter on them as a dinner side and my husband made sausage gravy that we poured over them the next day for breakfast). If you haven't tried making them yet, I would definitely suggest it!

No comments:

Post a Comment