Saturday, January 30, 2010

Scratch Brownies

Baking on a day when you have nothing else to do is the best! I got up this morning and was full of cooking inspiration. Since I had nothing else to do, I was able to follow the inspirations where they led me. First, I made waffles topped with bacon and apples and a Gouda beer sauce (amazing creation, if I do say so myself!), and about an hour later I decided to try making brownies from scratch (I found a recipe online and decided to add a few tweaks of my own - chipotle powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and bacon grease).

My first thought was that brownies could not be that hard to make. I can make a cake from scratch, how can brownies be that different? That was until I got to the "brownies tend to get tough...don't go wild on the mixing" instructions. How much mixing is too much? With the baking powder biscuits I was told that you could end up with chewy and dense biscuits if you over-mixed, but no one has ever told me that about brownies. So, I mixed a little, and then a little more, but I just couldn't get rid of the big clumps of dough and "dust." I was worried about how dry it was.


It bothering me that there was nothing wet (e.g. milk, oil, etc.) in these brownies. The box mixes always call for something like that don't they? My dough seemed awfully dry to make anything worth eating. I've added these extra dry ingredients to box mixes without adjusting anything, so I figured it wouldn't make a difference here. However, when I changed the ingredients in the cheddar biscuits (see previous entry), I had to add milk to make the very dry and crumbly dough stick together. I looked up a few more recipes and found none that called for anything but the butter, eggs and dry ingredients I was using.

Putting the dough (I keep saying dough because that it what it was like to me, not batter-like at all) into the baking pan was difficult because it was so dry and clumpy. How are you supposed to pour big, dry, clumps into a pan and bake it? I attempted to spread it out, but didn't want to push it around too much for fear of "mixing it too much". There were parts where you could still see the pan and I was worried it would not melt/spread out when baking. At that point I was worried I had my first failure looming.


After about 20 minutes my husband said he smelled brownies, and they smelled good, which seemed to be a good sign. We looked in and they had risen and evened out just a bit. After the suggested cooling time we each tried one. I was afraid, but it smelled wonderful, and then, lo and behold, it tasted wonderful. My brownies were good and not tough or dry at all; my fears had been assuaged! My husband says the spices overpower the chocolate a bit, which he minds, but I don't! These brownies are not really cake-like, but they are not as heavy as fudge-like brownies, they seem to be a good mix. The bacon grease I greased the pan with adds a nice little flavor to the brownies and they are a bit spicy. It might sound like there is a lot going on there between the spices and bacon, but I think it all mixes well. Besides, mixing chocolate and bacon or chocolate and spiciness together is all the rage these days, so it seems natural that they would all go together.


As you know, I am not a big fan of chocolate, so the other flavors are one way to get me to eat brownies. If you are looking for an alternative to the plain chocolate brownie, you might want to try this. And, I guess I proved that it is good to see things through to the end (at least in baking) as they don't always turn out as bad you might think.

The original recipe can be found here. Below is the recipe with my additions. Enjoy!

Scratch Brownies

1 cup melted butter
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
2 eggs
½ cup cocoa
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp chipotle powder
couple tbsp bacon grease


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream margarine and sugar with a mixer.
After the creaming stage, switch to a spoon for mixing. Brownies tend to get tough if worked too much.
Add the vanilla and eggs and mix just until smooth.
Pour in cocoa, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and chipotle powder. Again, mix until smooth and lumps are broken up. Don't go to wild on the mixing.
Grease 9x13 pan with bacon grease.
Spread dough out into pan and bake on 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Cool brownies for 10 minutes before slicing.


Just for fun, here's a picture of our breakfast. This was a total experiment, and I strongly encourage experimentation in cooking. I started this baking adventure and blog as a way to drag myself off the couch and out of misery and have found that I am not only getting off that couch, I am learning and loving it. The more I learn, the more I want to experiment. I am not saying things will always work out, but why not have fun trying?



3 comments:

  1. You are brave. Brownies are hard to make from scratch! Mine always turn rock hard. I will have to try yours out. :) Breakfast looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana - I am on day 4 of eating these and they are getting quite hard. Not sure why that is except that they were not in an air tight container the first night. Did yours come out of the oven hard or turn hard later?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both. They come out hard, then turn rock hard. The "come out hard" but that is from overcooking. I know there is some trick to keeping them soft, but I never remember what it is. It seems like you are supposed to put bread in there, but I'm not sure if the bread give moisture or absorbs moisture. If you find a solution, let me know!

    ReplyDelete