Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cheddar Chipotle Biscuits



I LOVE cheese! Let's just get that out of the way, right away. I was once told that the hives I was experiencing was an allergic reaction to too much dairy. I cried for a week. Though there are many dairy substitutes available these days (soy, rice, veggie, etc.), nothing compared to plain old from-the-cow dairy. Since that awful doctor's visit, I have significantly cut down on the amount of dairy I eat and switched to mostly organic. However, there are days where I just have to indulge my cravings and have real cheese, and lots of it. These biscuits are a great way to do just that.


Cheddar Chipotle Biscuits:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch chipotle pepper
pinch salt
8 oz extra-sharp Cheddar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine butter, salt and peppers with mixer (on low)
Add flour and combine
Add cheese and milk and mix until ball forms
Wrap ball of dough in wax paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes. If you want to slice and bake, shape dough into a log before refrigerating.
Roll out dough to 1/4" thick on a lightly floured surface and cut biscuits with cookie cutter, or slice rounds from log that are 1/4" thick.
Place dough slices on parchment lined baking sheet and bake until edges are golden brown, about 18 minutes

Store at room temp in a Ziploc or airtight container



I got the original idea for these biscuits from Vegetable Matter. However, I didn't want to spend the money on white cheddar, so I used yellow cheddar, which is usually a few dollars cheaper. I don't know if that made a difference, but I found that my cheese and flour mix did not combine well, and there was much more cheese than anything, so I added the milk and a bit extra flour. I also switched the pepper from cayenne to chipotle, since I like chipotle and we have tons of it . I used the slice and bake method, as you can see in the picture above, which worked fine but gave me slightly misshapen biscuits.

These biscuits smelled delicious as they were baking and I couldn't resist taking one right off the pan and eating it hot. I gave my husband a bite and I guess he liked them; his exact reaction was "take that Red Lobster biscuits! I don't think any of these are going to make it into work, or even until morning." This recipe made 16 biscuits so we did have a few left the next day. Since these received such high praise, I think I will be making these again!

3 comments:

  1. These look really good. Oh, glory to the cheese! I'll have to give these a try sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! I'm totally going to try these some time. Lately I've been putting "chipotles in adobo sauce" in just about everything, it's my new favorite ingredient. Maybe they would work here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire - they might if you chopped them up a bit. My only concern is that they would be a little wet. But, go for it. I strongly beleive in experimentation when cooking/baking! I am interested to hear how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete